Building Photo Gallery

The corner of Nassau and Liberty Streets, where the New York Fed currently resides.  Construction on the Bank began shortly after this photo was taken in May of 1921. Delayed by World War I, construction of the New York Fed building began in 1921.  A public competition was held and the architectural firm of York & Sawyer submitted the winning design reminiscent of buildings in Florence, Italy. By 1923 the building’s historic design began to take shape in lower Manhattan’s Financial District. A historic view of the New York Fed building from the corner of Maiden Lane and Nassau Street in July of 1923. Bank employees settled into their new office building the following year.
A contemporary view of the main building from Liberty and William Streets.  This view includes the extension to the Bank after the New York Fed acquired the Montauk building on William Street.  (John Bartelstone 2002) The Bank’s gold vault rests 86 feet below street level on the solid bedrock of Manhattan, the only surface able to support the 90 ton door, 140 ton door frame and the gold inside.  This photo was taken during construction of the vault in December of 1923. Before advanced technology, messengers, seen here, relayed communications between offices across the Bank.  This picture also shows the original and existing furniture, design,  and layout of the Bank’s 10th floor.  (c. 1950) From the restored ceiling arches and light fixtures, to the refurbished wooden furniture, today’s 10th floor reflects the same architectural integrity and historic richness as it did when the Bank first opened for business in the 1920’s.
Before the electronic transfer of information, a Treasury auction at the Bank involved individuals waiting in line at the first floor cages of the Bank to purchase U.S. securities.   Today, this space is used for an array of public gatherings.  (c. 1970) Today, the Bank’s first floor serves multiple purposes, including housing the Bank’s public museum and other public events.   The original iron work, lighting fixtures and stone ceiling have been cleaned and restored. The simply appointed Office of the First Vice President, circa 1940.  Today, this room serves as the Office of the President. The Office of the President today reuses much of the same wood panel work, ceiling pattern, restored furniture and chandelier as the original office design.
This 10th floor meeting room was originally used to conduct a variety of business with the depository institutions of the Second District.  Its original vaulted ceiling echoed the design of the floor’s vaulted central hallway. Years later, renovations replaced the vaulted ceiling of this room with acoustic tiles, covered the walls with fabric, and used some space above the room for ductwork for new air conditioners.  For many years, this room served as an employee dining facility. Today, new telecommunications, audio-visual, lighting, and cabling infrastructure allow this room to serve as a multipurpose room for a variety of public events and Bank meetings. Liberty Street entrance flanked by fixtures crafted by metalworker Samuel Yellin. Yellin was awarded a commission to complete the wrought iron decorative work in 1920. Today the ironwork is priceless. (2001)
The 33 Liberty Street entrance of the New York Fed building, where approximately 40,000 members of the public tour the Bank's FedWorks exhibit each year. The architects of the New York Fed's Main Building, York & Sawyer, executed this elevation of the north side of the building in 1942. At this point, the building's construction was complete and the structure occupied its present day footprint. Plaque commemorating the first anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center. Food and medical services were offered to rescue workers in the weeks following.